Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Confessions of a Mother and a School Project

When your kids come home from school and announce they have a project due, do you cringe and feel like it's parent busy work? Confess I can't be the only one. They already have piles of homework. There isn't enough time in the day for sports, showers, cooking, cleaning, and all the other gazillion things that has to be done before midnight. Not to mention, I really want to spend quality time with them before bedtime. So we help a bit.

My third grader needed to make an animal in their natural habitat, in a shoebox for Science. Cool! Easy as pie!

Confession:
No shoebox, ran out of construction paper

It could be due the 12th, 13th, or 19th. Okay, weird

No specific instructions. Please don't let me give my kid a big fat F

It totally sucks that my kid can't go outside to collect leaves and such to add to her project because THERE IS SNOW AND LOTS OF IT which led to the below.

Hubby and I did 3/4 of it! Internet searches for images, superimposing, copying, printing! PARENT BUSY WORK!

Yesterday I get "Mom everyone brought their project in already. Did you finish mine?"
        
I hang my head in shame and make her paint and glue everything together which takes five whole minutes. She brought it to school today!

8 comments:

Brenda Drake said...

bwahahahaha that is so funny. Yes, teachers assign projects for the parents - I think it's a conspiracy to stress them out or get them involved or something. I used to help too much on my kid's projects too. Really, how do they expect a seven-year-old to do such hard projects? Now the kids are teens and they can do it themselves. BTW I love the mushrooms - I give you an A. :D

Elana Johnson said...

Oh my heck. This is exactly why teachers SHOULD NOT ASSIGN PROJECTS to children. EVER.

Opinionated? Yes, I am. What did your child learn from this?

Nothing. Their teacher failed, not you, and not your child.

Rant over.

But great shoebox!

Kerri Cuev said...

Oh yes it was a total I need more grades before the quarter ends thing.

I like the shoebox very much ;)

Lydia Kang said...

The diorama turned out so cool! I love the red toadstools.
:)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sounds stressful!

But the diorama came out so pretty!!!! Nice job! ;)

Anonymous said...

haha you rocked it, my kids was later & lame, she wouldnt wait 2 minutes, so when I gave her an awesome background, she says, oh I should have waited, that is cool! & inserted plastic animals, she was mad they wouldnt stand up while box was moving -- duh, think I'd cut her more slack for 8 huh?
Diana

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at kerricuevas.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from this blog post above if I give a link back to your site?

Thanks,
Peter

Kerri Cuev said...

Peter,
Thanks for asking but I must respectfully decline.

Thank you,
Kerri
website author