Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for New Orleans

Welcome to the A-Z challenge, where we'll be blogging our way through the alphabet throughout the month of April. My theme will be places--it may be a specific place, a state, or a country. It will be whatever I think is spooky, beautiful, or intriguing. I'll be rating each stop on the way with those factors, with 5 being the highest score, and 1 being the lowest score. I hope it will inspire any writers, or travelers out there in Bloggerland. So, thanks for stopping by, and enjoy!

N = New Orleans
I can't believe we made it halfway through the A-Z challenge. The tour bus had stopped in Louisiana in the historic city of New Orleans, and the home of Mardi Gras. The city has many attractions--from the French Quarter and Bourbon Streets famous nightlife to the unique foods. But did you know New Orleans past still haunts the city.
Here are some haunted locations.
Lalaurie House 1140 Royal St located in the French Quarter
St. Louis Cemetery Number 1
Le Pavilion Hotel
Arnaud's Restaurant
Canal Street at City Park Avenue
Cafe Lafite in Exile
The Sultans Palace 716 Dauphine St.
The Beauregard-Keyes House
Hotel Monteleone
Another oddity
Because of New Orleans ethnic diversity the voodoo culture blossomed in the city in the 1700's. Today the city markets voodoo in its shops that are full of charms, spells, and candles. Maybe the real ceremonies are being done in private. Do you think voodoo is still being practiced?
The city is one of kind, and I would love to visit there one day. How about you?
Spooky:2
Intrigue:3
Beauty:4
Biblio: Wikiclick here,

3 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

I've been to New Orleans once and loved the atmosphere there. Such a perfect place for a ghost story.

D.G. Hudson said...

Yes I would like to visit there one day, and I'd contact Roland Yoemans who writes about New Orleans at 'Writing in the Crosshairs'. He knows all the haunted places.

My sister was planning on visiting the year Katrina hit, one week before they would have been there. Sheesh, scary.

I'd want to see the old jazz places too, whether haunted or not. A friend cautioned me about attending at Mardi Gras, however.

Enjoyed your post!

Anonymous said...

I've been to New Orleans twice. Once before Katrina and a few years after. Hubby's parents took us. Both time were great trips and we saw lots of beautiful spots.